Onions range in size, color and taste depending upon their variety. There are generally two types of large, globe-shaped onions, classified as spring/summer or storage onions. The former class includes those that are grown in warm weather climates and have characteristic mild or sweet tastes. Included in this group are the Maui Sweet Onion (in season April through June), Vidalia (in season May through June) and Walla Walla (in season July and August). Storage onions are grown in colder weather climates and, after harvesting, are dried out for a period of several months, attaining dry, crisp skins. They generally have a more pungent flavor and are usually named by their color: white, yellow or red. Spanish onions fall into this classification. In addition to these large onions, there are also smaller varieties such as the green onion, or scallion, and the pearl onion.
Health Benefits of Onion
- Good Oral Health: Onions are often used to prevent
tooth decay and oral infections. Chewing raw onions for 2 to 3 minutes could
possibly kill all the germs present in the mouth area.
- Treatment for Heart Ailments: Onions aids in thinning
of the blood, which in turn prevents the red blood cells from forming
clumps. These blocks could lead to heart disorders or cardiovascular
- Glowing Skin: Onion juice mixed with honey or olive oil
is said to be best treatment for acne condition.
- Treatment for Cough: Consuming equal mixture of onion
juice and honey can relive sore throat and cough symptoms.
- Used as Insect Repellent: You can apply onion juice to
reduce the pain caused due to honey-bee bite. Fresh onion juice or paste can
be used for external applications for insect bites and scorpion stings.
- Boost Sexual Drive: Onions are said to increase the
urge for healthy sexual life. One table spoon of onion juice along with
spoonful of ginger juice, taken trice a day can boost the libido and sex
- Treatment of Anemic Condition: Even anemic conditions
can be improved by eating onions along with jiggery and water.
- Relieves Stomach Ache: Onions have anti-inflammatory
and anti-bacterial properties that give relief to upset stomach and related
- Treating Urinary Disorders: For those suffering from
burning sensation during urination, onions can provide considerable relief.
The patient should drink water boiled with 6 to 7 gm of onion.
- Prevention of Cancer: Onions are rich in active
compounds that successfully inhibit the development of cancerous cells.
- Relieving Earache: A few drops of onion juice may
actually prove immensely beneficial to individuals suffering from acute
earache. The ringing sound in the ear may be cured by applying onion juice
through cotton wool.
- According to Peace Health, onions have been useful for treating various
human diseases such as tumors, persistent coughs and cold. Medicine
practitioners consider this plant form as a perfect home remedy for
relieving disease syndromes. Peace Health further states that onion
consumption can help in prevention of stomach and breast cancer.
- Onions Consist of Sulphur Rich Compounds- The medical
studies reveal that these sulphur compounds stop biochemical chain
formations that could possibly lead to an asthmatic condition. Onions
facilitates the melting of phlegm in a patient suffering from severe cough.
Fresh onion juices are said to be applied to patients who become
unconscious, for bringing vigor and energy back into the patient.