Both beets and Swiss chard are different varieties within the same plant family (Amaranthaceae-Chenopodiaceae) and their edible leaves share a resemblance in both taste and texture. Attached to the beet's green leaves is a round or oblong root, the part conjured up in most people's minds by the word 'beet.' Although typically a beautiful reddish-purple hue, beets also come in varieties that feature white or golden roots. No matter what their color, however, beet roots aren't as hardy as they look; the smallest bruise or puncture will cause red beets' red-purple pigments, which contain beneficial flavonoids called anthycyanins, to bleed, especially during cooking.
Health Benefits of Beet
- Beets have ZERO trans fat and ZERO saturated fat. They are also low
calorie! How's that for a food to satisfy your hunger and have the ability
to satisfy a sweet tooth at the same time? You've got to love a food that
meets a sugar craving and doesn't harm your body!
- Canned beets are very inexpensive! Buy them sliced or whole and buying
the store brand they will cost about 60 cents or less! Just put a few cans
in the refrigerator and next time you are looking for a snack food they will
be super cold and ready to eat, no dirty pots, no cooking. Just drain and
enjoy with a fork!
- Beets are high in carbohydrates which means they are a great instant
energy source, but unlike processed foods which are high in carbohydrates,
beets will energize your body. Beets can be regarded as body fuel.
- Beets contain sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosperous! They are
also considered a fiber food and contain vitamins A and C as well as niacin!
You can't beat that!
- Beets contain folic acid which is necessary for the production and
maintenance of new cells. This is especially important for pregnant woman or
anyone undergoing physical healing. Many people take
folic acid in the form of herbal supplements, but if you eat beets, you
won't need to! It is always better for the body to receive it's nutrients
and vitamins through food over a supplement because it is like mainlining
the natural source into your bloodstream. The benefits are far superior and
faster with real food over powder mixes or pills.
- Studies have shown that beets guard against cancer, especially colon
- Medical studies have also shown that including beets in your diet helps
protect a body against heart disease.
- Beets are available all year round! So they are not difficult to find in
any produce section if you want them fresh!
- Beets can be eaten raw or you can boil, steam roast or sautee them.
Additionally raw beets can be juiced in a Jay the Juiceman type juicer very
easily! But be warned, beet juice is EXTREMELY strong and powerful! If you
want to get naturally drunk without alcohol, take a glass of beet juice and
see what happens. It is startling! If you want the benefits of beet juice
but candle handle drinking it straight up, then mix it with some carrot or
apple juice for a milder but still beneficial juice.
- Borscht, a very popular vegetable soup made of beets is a traditionally
loved dish in Poland, Russia, Germany and other Eastern European menus.
There are cold and hot Borscht soups and each country varies some of the
ingredients, but beets are the one common and main ingredient of this
revered and hearty soup.
- Even the leaves of raw beets have been eaten and useful and beneficial
to one's health. The leaves have been known to counter "garlic" breath and
in Roman times Hippocrates advocated the use of beet leaves as binding for
- Beets being naturally colorful and bright red make an excellent and
healthful garnish for artistic presentation of a meal. They also can be made
into a number of cold salads for a change of pace meal. Betacyanin is the
pigment that gives beets their red color, this pigment is what is
responsible for helping to fight cancer.
- Beets have been shown to help cleanse the blood, cleanse the colon and
strengthen the gall bladder and liver.
- There is something called Beet Therapy. Doctors have used it to get rid
of tumors and to help people with blood diseases and leukemia.
- Some people have used beats to treat and cure boils, abscesses and even