Potato is certainly the most extensively grown tuber crop in the world. In scientific terms, it is called Solanum tuberosum. Potatoes are known for being rich in carbohydrates and calories, but have we ever given a thought to this nature’s produce which actually has many benefits. Yes, you’ve read right. Potatoes are beneficial in much more ways than you can think of. Perhaps no menu is complete without incorporating potato. Be it chips, fries, vegetables, snacks or any other food, potatoes find their place in one recipe or the other. In fact, everybody likes the taste of potatoes. If you also love to crunch this tuber, then here are given some extra reasons to savor potatoes even more.
Health Benefits of Potato
- Potatoes are rich source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, manganese,
and dietary fiber.
- Sweet potatoes are reasonably low in calories and comprise no fat. They
are rich source of beta-carotene, potassium, and vitamin A.
- Potato is the most efficient food for energy production. The energy
produced through potato gets stored as glycogen in muscle and liver; it
functions as a readily available energy during prolonged, strenuous
exercise. That’s why; it is an important part of players’ diet.
- Potatoes are low in sodium, nearly fat free and easy to digest. They
make active part of any diet.
- Potatoes are beneficial in curing stomach ulcers and inflamed conditions
of the colon.
- Potatoes are also beneficial in hemorrhoid due to their high fiber
- Potatoes might help prevent cancer in glands and organs with epithelial
tissue because of their high Vitamin A content.
- Potatoes make nice food for diabetics because they help to control blood
- Potatoes help to improve resistance to heart attack and stroke. The
potassium content, available in potatoes, helps in maintaining fluid and
electrolyte balance in the body cells.
- Potatoes also help in normal functioning of heart and keeping a check on