Celery is a biennial vegetable (meaning it has a normal life cycle of two years) that belongs to the Umbelliferae family, whose other members include carrots, fennel, parsley and dill. While most people associate celery with its prized stalks, its leaves, roots and seeds are also used as a food and seasoning as well as a natural medicinal remedy.
Celery grows to a height of 12 to 16 inches and is composed of leaf-topped stalks arranged in a conical shape and joined at a common base. The stalks have a crunchy texture and a delicate, but mildly salty, taste. The stalks in the center are called the heart and are the most tender. In the United States, we are used to celery appearing in different shades of green, but in Europe they also enjoy a variety that is white in color. Like white asparagus, this type of celery is grown shaded from direct sunlight, so the production of its chlorophyll content, and hence its green color, are inhibited.
Health Benefits of Celery
- The strong water removing powers of celery enable it to be used in the
control of health problems such as arthritis, stone, liver problems and
- A tablespoonful of honey in celery juice, sipped slowly, will very
effectively reduce the appetite if taken before a meal, and makes a
delightful drink. It will also help in reducing their weight.
- You can take the same mixture as a nightcap; it will help you to relax
into a soothing and restful sleep. So those who have a problem of
sleeplessness must enjoy the sound sleep after having this yummy health
- Those who are suffering from stones in the gall bladder or the kidney
must take the juice of celery. It has been found that those who drank juice
do not found any formation of stones in bladders & kidney again. It seems
likely that this effect is related to the anti-arthritic properties of the
- Celery calms the nerve because of the high calcium content & helps in
controlling high blood pressure. Raw celery should be eaten to reduce high
- Celery is used in aromatherapy and other traditional way of healing like
Ayurveda. In Japan, rheumatic patients are sometimes put on a celery only
- Moreover you can eat a lot of celery without thinking twice because it
has almost zero calories. You won't add any extra pounds after having such a
yummy drink or raw celery.
- The whole plant is gently stimulating & nourishing; it also acts as a
digestive remedy and liver stimulant. A tincture can be used as a diuretic
in hypertension and urinary disorders.
- Celery roots, fruits (seeds), and aerial parts, are used as ethno
medically to treat mild anxiety and agitation, loss of appetite, fatigue &